Manchesters’ premier live venue for jazz music has a packed October. I’ve singled out a couple of the gigs for this podcast.
Alan Barnes and Gilad Atzmon, two of Britain’s most celebrated virtuoso reed players, join forces to promise the ultimate jazz night in British history on 13th October The two men promise to give the American songbook a good shaking, dropping fruits of bop and post-bop and fermenting with outrageous originals from deep in the barrel.
Tim Garland is one of the most versatile musicians in the UK. Highly skilled as an instrumentalist, composer and bandleader, Garland has developed a highly original voice with a marriage of diverse influences combined with unique and varied line-ups. He plays on Tuesday 18th October.
In between examples from both of the above some of the best new jazz releases
- Nils Petter Molvaer – Ras Mohammed – Bouyancy (2016)
- Bastian Stein – Traces – Viktor (2016)
- Uri Caine Trio – Icicles – Calibrated Thickness (2016)
- Tim Garlands Lighthouse – Uplift – Songs to the North Sky (2014)
- Ches Smith – I Think – The Bell (2016)
- Florian Egli Weird Beard – Old Places – Everything Moves (2016)
- Ivo Perelman, Matthew Shipp – Part 7 – Corpo (2016)
- Gilad Atzmon & Alan Barnes – Softly As In Morning Sunrise – Live at Hideaway (2016)
- Ivo Perelman, Matthew Shipp, Michael Bisio, Whit Dickey – The Unknown – Soul (2016)
- Jungle: Mat Walerian, Matthew Shipp, Hamid Drake – Ultimate Insurance – Like at Okuden (2016)