May sees two stand out gigs at the Band On The Wall – the 17th sees the Arild Andersen Trio at the iconic venue in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. The fabulous singing tone and exciting articulation of Arild Andersen’s double bass playing have made the Norwegian master one of the key figures in European jazz. Widely regarded as one of the finest groups working in jazz, Andersen’s current trio with the Scottish saxophone virtuoso Tommy Smith and the sensational Italian drummer Paolo Vinaccia will make this Tuesday night concert an unmissable event.
On 26th May the venue welcomes the Espen Eriksen Trio. The Trio plays highly melodic and lyrical instrumentals with elements from Scandinavian folk. It’s definitely jazz, but with structures almost like pop songs and with a strong focus on melodies and short solos. Their third record, “Never Ending January”, was released in autumn 2015.
The rest of the podcast is a selection of recent jazz releases.
- Espen Eriksen Trio – Grounded – Never Ending January (2015)
- Paolo Fresu, Richard Galliano & Jan Lundgren – Blue Silence – Mare Nostrum II (2016)
- Tonbruket – Mano Sinistra – Forevergreens (2016)
- Snarky Puppy – Semente – Culcha Vulcha (2016)
- Nolatet – Dogs – Dogs (2016)
- Travis Laplante & Peter Evans – Secret Meeting – Secret Meeting (2016)
- Ralph Alessi – Smooth Descent – Quiver (2016)
- Logan Richardson – Locked Out Of Heaven – Shift (2016)
- Anat Fort Trio & Gianluigi Trovesi – Jumpin’ In – Birdwatching (2016)
- Mack Avenue SuperBand – Paint Brushes – Live from the Detroit Jazz Festival 2015 (2016)
- Arild Andersen Quartet – Anima – Green Shading Into Blue (1978)